RRYC Committees Club History Downloads & Archives
RED ROCK YACHT CLUB BY-LAWS
ARTICLE I - PURPOSE
The Red Rock Yacht Club as instituted under the original Articles of Incorporation shall in addition be governed by the following laws.
ARTICLE II – DUES
Dues categories and amounts shall be established annually based on proposed club programs and shall be payable as of the annual election meeting for the following year.
ARTICLE III – BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The elected officers shall consist of a Commodore, Vice Commodore, Rear Commodore, Youth Program Director, Secretary, and Purser. They shall be elected by majority vote of the membership annually and shall serve for a period of one year or until a successor is duly elected as a replacement. The elected officers together with the Immediate Past Commodore shall serve as the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE IV – NOMINATING COMMITTEE
A nominating committee consisting of past Commodores and chaired by the Immediate Past Commodore shall be appointed by the Commodore, who shall also serve as a member of the committee. The nominations shall be presented to the membership in writing at least two weeks prior to the annual election. Additional nominations may be added by the membership during the election meeting. The Commodore shall preside over the election meeting.
ARTICLE V – OFFICER DUTIES
- SECTION 1 – The Commodore shall serve as chief executive officer of the organization and preside over meetings of the membership. The Commodore is responsible for operation and perpetuation of the organization and other responsibilities of the office. The Commodore shall appoint an Audit Committee, Representatives to other organizations, and temporary committees deemed necessary with consent of the Board of Directors.
- SECTION 2 – The Vice Commodore shall be responsible for the season social programs, their organization, publication, finances, and promotion. The Vice Commodore shall also serve as the Commodore in the Commodore’s absence.
- SECTION 3 – The Rear Commodore is responsible for the season racing program, including regattas and shall serve as the chair of the Race Committee and shall appoint the Regatta Committee, the Handicap Committee, and the Protest Committee. The Rear Commodore shall serve as the Commodore in the absence of both the Commodore and the Vice Commodore.
- SECTION 4 – The Secretary will keep minutes of meetings, publish newsletters and the yearbook, handle club correspondence, and maintain the membership roster. The Secretary shall appoint the Newsletter Committee and the Yearbook Committee and shall serve as the chair of each.
- SECTION 5 – The Purser shall maintain the accounts of the club and maintain custody of all club property other than racing equipment. The Purser shall have authority to sigh checks for operational expenses as directed by the Commodore or the board of directors. Major expenses shall be approved by the Board of Directors prior to their occurrence.
- SECTION 6 – The Youth Program Director is responsible for maintaining suitable youth activities for children of club members and shall serve as chair of the Youth Committee.
- SECTION 7 – The Immediate Past Commodore shall hold the position of Past Commodore as an advisor to the rest of the Board of Directors and shall serve as the chair of the Membership Committee.
ARTICLE VI - COMMITTEES
SECTION 1 – STANDING COMMITTEES
- The Audit Committee shall be appointed by the Commodore and shall audit the records of the Purser.
- The Membership Committee shall be appointed by the Past Commodore who shall be its chair and shall be responsible for promotion of club membership to all interested persons and shall also serve to assist in expressing the concerns of individual members to the Board of Directors.
- The Social Committee shall be appointed by the Vice Commodore who shall serve as its chair and shall be responsible for the season social program.
- The Race Committee shall be appointed by the Rear Commodore who shall serve as its chair and shall be responsible for the season race program.
- The Regatta Committee shall be appointed by the Rear Commodore and shall be responsible for at least one regatta during the season.
- The Protest Committee shall be appointed by the Rear Commodore and shall be responsible for hearing season race protests.
- The Handicap Committee shall be appointed by the Rear Commodore and shall be responsible for establishing racing handicaps for participants in the season race series.
- The Newsletter Committee shall be appointed by the Secretary who shall serve as its chair and shall assist the Secretary in the publication of the club’s monthly newsletter.
- The Yearbook Committee shall be appointed by the Secretary who shall serve as its chair and shall assist the Secretary in the publication of the club’s annual yearbook.
- The Youth Committee shall be appointed by the Youth Program Director who shall serve as its chair and shall assist in the development and promotion of youth activities.
SECTION 2 – TEMPORARY COMMITTEES
Temporary committees may be appointed from time to time by the Commodore with the approval of the Board of Directors for a specific purpose.
ARTICLE VII – OFFICER RESIGNATION OR REPLACEMENT
Any office may be declared vacant by the Board of Directors if an officer resigns or fails to serve as required by these by-laws.Vacancies thus created may be filled by a majority election by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE VIII – AMENDMENTS
Once adopted by a vote of the membership, these by-laws may be amended by a majority vote of the membership.Prior written notice must be given to the membership of proposed amendments.